Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Wise Old Man

     I've recently found myself applying to transfer back to the university that I first started college at.  A few things have resulted from my plans...


     1.) My mother has been in a dither because all she can seem to remember is me being sick all the time while I was there.
     My answer to this:
     Firstly, I blame it on only consuming breakfast cereal and ice cream with the occasional cheese and tortilla on Quesadilla Wednesdays.  Secondly, it was the consequence of sleeping with the window open all winter...don't judge me!  The heater was awful from the top bunk when your head was practically next to the vent!   My six foot tall roommate was afraid of heights and insisted on having the bottom bunk.  I'll let you ponder the distance between my head and the ceiling with that detail.  Lastly, I blame the lack of sleep.  I only slept on Saturdays.  My weekday bed time usually ranged around 3 to 4 o'clock in the morning.  Yea...how did I finish my freshman year alive? 


    2.)  I've been realizing that I'm really not as organized as I thought.
     Apparently, even though I've been graduated for a good 5,000,000.56875 years from high school (okay, maybe more like 7.5 years) they still want things like my ACT and SAT scores.  I really thought I had these filed away nicely somewhere.  I really really really...really really...really...really..re...all...y...did. (This is the point when I smile like I'm crazy and my eyes glaze over.)


     So, while trying to dig up those darn test scores, I've been poring over my old email box.  You know, the type with the really embarrassing user name?  Like nsyncluvr4life@yahoo.com ...or... futurebackstreetboybride@hotmail.com??  Yea...it's one of those.  Except it doesn't have anything to do with any boy bands that I liked in junior high.  Anyhow, I did a search for emails in my box that dated to 2003, and I stumbled upon a note from my dad.  He's not much for writing (which is obviously why I saved it.)  I couldn't help but be excited to uncover this treasure I'd forgotten.  It's monumental since he's the don't-cry-rub-some-dirt-on-it-I-only-say-I-love-you-on-special-occasions sorta guy.  
     I eagerly clicked on the email to open the contents and halfway through reading I was tearing up.  It really hit home for me something that I've been struggling with lately, and it reminded me of a girl I haven't been for a good 5 or 6 years, that I have work still to do, and that there's goals to be reached.  His words really put to rest the fears that I have of branching out again, moving to another city to pursue something that I love, desire, and am meant for.


     So, for the sake of inspiring the few people who take the time to read my silly blog I will share my pop's sweet words to me, at the time, his seventeen year old daughter, the youngest of his three daughters, the first Gaskins girl to move to another city, and the first to go live on campus while attending college full time.  I hope they remind you that it's okay to take chances, to step out and do something awesome even if scary. 

     "Hi there!  I've included your resume and hope it comes
thru.  I'm so proud of you and excited about this
phase of your life's journey.  I want to encourage you
to simply do your best, love God, and practice
kindness.  We love you so much.  Don't let things
overwhelm you, we're here for you and pray for you
several times a day.  You're doing something that's
never been done before in our family, going off to
school.  So, I guess you could call yourself the
explorer of the family.  That's what I did, I got on a
bus and launched out into the world.  You may have
moments of loneliness, that's normal, if you feel like
crying then that's what you do, I know cause I did. 
But the secret I found was to be with others, and
connect with them thru study of the Word, praying and
just enough time hanging out together and I did just
fine.  Well I guess I'd better get off to this job
fair this morning, will call or write again soon.

Lots of Love
Dad"

XOXO
Kimmy

2 comments:

  1. Kimmy that was awesome. Your dad's words inspired me too. I needed to hear that. You're going to be amazing at college :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna be the crazy old foggie in the dorms! :P

    ReplyDelete